From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:16:09 -0400
Randy:

It is indeed possible for commercial yards to flood an area with swarms and
drones, but only if those commercial bees are healthy and strong enough, in
great enough density, and present during swarming season. The last
condition is important, since most large operations are migratory, and the
only location that counts is where they are during swarming season.

First, in this area there are a lot, maybe half of the bees, that are stationary. By California standards these outfits are not large, typically 200 to 400 colonies. But they are here year in and year out and these guys buy queens and packages. Then, the biggest influx of bees comes for the apple bloom, in May, and these bees are strong, healthy, and swarming.

After the apples, some beekeepers leave for other pollination areas, but the majority stay here in their summer yards, most within 50 miles of the apple regions. They migrate to Florida in the fall, and may do pollination in Feb., but for the months when our bees are out and flying -- they're here.

I am quite certain that the feral population here consists of escaped commercial hives. Joe's circumstances may be different in Southern PA, what I have described would hold for much or most of NY state.

plb