From:
William Morong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 00:38:07 -0400
Last year I always lit my smoker, but used it sparingly.  This year I'm
carrying it loaded, and ready to light.  It seems that, even on foul days,
the bees respond just as well to puffs of breath from between pursed lips.
They give exactly the same noise of recognition when breath is blown under
the inner cover as for smoke.  They settle right down on the frames.  They
cooperate faster, with less confusion, and seem much more attentive to
being herded around on the combs.  I made splits today this way, and it is
much easier to spot the queen with the bees undisturbed.  I have many
races, and they all respond well to this.  The colonies that were feisty
last year are much gentler this way.  If we get AHB here in central Maine,
clearly this method will not suffice, but for now it is very pleasant,
quicker, and smells much better.

Bill Morong