Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:38:16 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
 Ditto Dave
on  seeing living beehives that have the ability stay alive  on there own some. I'm not wanting to put in anymore chemicals than I have to either, but I don't consider VC to be a chemical per se.

Until some of the educated research people can tell me better,I'll consider any and all options , that aren't deadly .  Of course I'm still amazed in this day and age, no one can still tell us exactly what bees need to eat to be the healthiest and vigorous they can be, i.e. VC, and that our number one way of telling if a line is hygienic is an antiquated frozen brood method from 50 or 60 years ago.

In regard to the HBH info I have , i'm the messenger, so don't kill me as Bob would say. I got this from someone else and did not do the "lab" work on it for all the technical folks on here.

HBH is 5 % lemongrass oil, 5 % spearmint oil and 90 % percent sugar or hfcs,lol. I was told 6.5  oz of the two oils to a gallon of liquid. Also at lecithin and SLS (sodium laurel sulfate,i'm guessing to help break down the surface tension of the liquids).
The lecithin was about 4 tablespoons and the SLS 1-2 teaspoons.

I have used it , fixed 5 gallons at a time using the lemongrass and spearmint , 1 quart each ,half cup of lecithin and 5 teaspoons of SLS and finish out with the sugar liquid, what ever we are feeding at the time to make five gallons of liquid.
You have to find the oils by the quart or larger to not cost a fortune. 
I don't have the invoice handy for the source I buy it, but I want to say it's about 45 or 55  dollars a quart from the company I found,by googling it and shopping the prices.
If memory serves me I think i have about 150 dollars or less in a five gallon container. 		 	   		  
The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2