From:
Jørn Johanesson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 14:47:05 +-200

----------
Fra:    Steve R[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sendt:  26. april 1997 13:12
Til:    [log in to unmask]
Emne:   "H" Bee might be a "Drone fly"

While checking my hives this week I noticed a dozen or so, new to me,
bee or fly on the out side on the entrance.  They mimic the bees looks
and movements.

A drone is looking a little plump, and have very big eyes. they are bigger than a normal bee and are stinglees! You will in summertime find around 200 of those in the Hive. even if you think they are of no use for you, you should not try to eliminate the existence of those. They are absolute needed for the normal function of a bee family and you will loose more honey than they eat. Say I :-)

By the way, do you know that a Drone is not a mail but is reel a none, genetic duplicating exact the Queen it comes from, and can bee seen as a flying sperm :-) That is why they can be used in queen insemination filling a queen up with sperm from only one Hive giving the same kind of bees so and so the rest of the queens life.

regards
Jorn (Denmark)

EDBi = Beekeeping Software for win3.1 and win95
http:\\home4.inet.tele.dk\

new registration fee and programeditons (Fixing install errors) is coming up

e-mail for manuall

 So I checked my "National Audubon Society Field Guide to
North America Insects & Spiders" and identified they as "Drone Fly"
(Eristalis tenax).  On the 2nd segment they do have a distinctive black
"H" on the thorax with the yellow making the indent in the top and
bottom of the H. The adults eat nectar and pollen.  The young are live
in stagnant water.  Hopefully this is of some help to those trying to
track down the H. Bee.

Steve R