From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2007 04:30:52 -0700
 Joel writes:  The world of hobby and sideline beekeeping is just
as fraught with misues as the commercial aspect with the distinct
possiblity of industry impact should contanimated honey reach the food
supply and the media. My point is improper use of potentially dangerous
chemicals should be attributed to irresponsible beeekepers as a caste, not
commercial, sideliners or hobbyist. Everyone needs to be held responsible
for using potentially dangerous chemicals improperly."

  I often wonder, especially as I sit in bee meetings and beekeeper's clubs and listen to the "cures" for any number of hive problems, that the extent of the abuse of chemicals, both hard and soft, both illegal and approved, is a matter of obstinate beligerance of doing whatever it takes to keep bees alive or just downright ignorance of how to read instructions and follow labels.  Even those beekeepers who use approved treatments seem to have no clue as to when to add or remove strips, or even why they need to use them.  They just do it.  And then there are those charming guys who give you a wink about how they're using hog lice spray without any concern for the honey they sell.

  It's a scary thought.  We try to inform and correct the misuse and abuse with those beekeepers in our bee club, but it's a big world out there.  If the honey supply ever gets contaminated, I'm sure I'll get broadbrushed with the backlash.  CCD, if linked to these abuses, may be the least of our real problems.

  Grant
  Jackson, MO