From:
Dan O'Callaghan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2010 05:45:17 -0800
>That makes me ask, though, who does read BEE-L?

I've been reading BEE-L a little over 4 years, beekeeping since 2001. Mostly
lurk as I'm often a couple of days behind.
I started reading BEE-L, and just about any other beekeeping related resource,
shortly after being 'elected' (no other volunteers) president of our local
association.  I was OK with setting an agenda and running a meeting, and I have
a fairly thick skin, but I was definitely not ready for the expectation that the

'president' is a beekeeping expert.
Like many others, our association has grown from 10-12 regular attendees to more

than 40 most meetings. While I still subscribe to and occasionally check other
forums/lists, I find BEE-L to be the most current and objective (in overall
content--not necessarily member opinions!).  IMO, it truly is an 'informed
discussion'.  I find the list prepares me to at least have a basic understanding

of most current events and topics.
One of my favorite recollections of 'stealing' from the list was when CCD first
made national news and everything was suspected as a cause. Someone (I'm too
lazy to search the archives) posted a humorous 'when my bees got cell phones'
response on the list.  At the next meeting of our club, one of the members asked

if anyone had read the CNN article about the trouble cell phones were causing
with bees...and I replied with 'when my bees got cell phone' quotes from the
BEE-L post...turned into one of our most lively meetings!

OK...probably too long...and borders on 'casual chatter'...I'll go back to
lurking now.