From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 12:24:38 EDT
So far on the removing supers thread:

BEE-GO: never used it, hear it smells awful and isn't reliable in cool
weather.  Not a concern in Louisiana, but a big deal in upstate NY.

BENZALDEHYDE: never used it, although I have heard rave reviews from
those who have.  I like the smell although I wouldn't want to sniff it
all the time.  No longer legal - banned as a carcinogen.

BEE ESCAPES: there are many.  The Porter bee escape (PBE) works, but is
less than ideal.  The springs need to be calibrated so they are spaced
correctly to allow bees to squeeze out but not in and the PBE can clog
with drones.  Once they're clogged they are useless.  A standard inner
cover will accept a PBE (this CAN'T be a coincidence) but will only
accept a single PBE.  More than one PBE has been suggested but then one
has to hack up an inner cover or build another piece of equipment.

Also mentioned was the three path bee escape available from Betterbee.
I've never heard it called a three path escape, I know it as a Canadian
Bee Escape, Betterbee just calls them escape boards and I've come to
call them "harvest boards" to avoid confusion, but when I mentioned
harvest boards to Betterbee they didn't know what I was talking about.
In any event, whatever you call them the escape board in like a standard
inner cover except that the underside has a triagular piece of screen
with openings at each corner.  Placed under the supers to be harvested,
bees exit through the center hole, encounter the screen and are forced
to exit through one of the three corners.  Having exited the bees are
not able to reenter the honey supers.  Escape boards require two trips
to the apiary, one to install the escape board and another vist a day or
two later to harvest.  They work amazingly well!  I bought one to check
it out, figuring I was throwing away money on yet another bee escape,
but when I saw the results I went back and bought one for each hive.  I
have since encountered mixed results: sometimes the bees vacate down to
the last bee, other times a few to a hundred bees remain.  With the
escape board it is imperative to be sure that there are no spaces for
bees to enter supers anywhere.  If a gap is left somewhere on
installation the beekeeper will come back a day or two later to a
massive robbing scene!  However, of all the nonchemical, nonmechanized
methods of clearing supers the escape board is my favorite.

BEE BRUSH and/or SHAKING:  Effective, but labor intensive - only suited
to a few hives.

BEE BLOWER: Loud, bulky and 'spensive if you're buying a bee hive design
blower.  However, leaf blowers work just as well.  Blows 'em out, leaves
'em empty and can double as a leaf blower!

My personal preference is an escape board with a leaf blower to handle
the straglers.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!