From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 21:47:43 -0600
> Before using small cell most of the mites would be found on the bottom of
> the bee between the first couple of segments on the front of the abdomen.
> They could almost completely fit underneath them but were obvious once at
> seeing a few....

Thanks for this description.  I've been watching this same untreated wild
hive daily lately and there are always about fifty bees on the entrance
area in the afternoon as they come and go.  (I cannot open the box.
They've build comb down from the lid and I'm looking for external clues).

I've looked at the top and bottom off these various entrance bees quite
carefully and see no signs of varroa.  I would expect that bump or an
exposed edge of varroa would be visible?

I've also now been wondering about the 'sugar shake' or 'sugar roll' test
and how it can work on mites that are under the segments.  I think several
here on BEE-L have testified to the efficacy of powdered sugar, but, now
I'm wondering: how it can work on hidden mites?

allen
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/diary/