From:
ADC Administor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 1994 11:03:22 +1000
To: [log in to unmask] (Bees Mail)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 1994 11:03:21 +1000 (EST)
From: "ADC Administor" <[log in to unmask]>

Hi all, thaks for your responce.

I wrote:

> > I once accidently left a full comb of capped honey in the shed, and by
> > morning the honey was oozing out of its cells. I thought the cells were
> > air-tight.

Adrian replied:

> I take it the shed was cool???  Funny thing about wax, it melts when
> it gets warm, and I would assume that if you have taken the frame out
> of a hive, it would have been during summer, and I would suspect that
> a shed isn't the coolest place available. :->
> Hope this is helpful to someone.
> Adrian.

Well, yes, it was cool.  It was one of those Australian seasons, which had
hot days followed by cold nights. (You know, were both Melbournians!).  But
I think most people can distinguish between melting wax and oozing honey.
I even tasted it to make sure.  This frame I am talking about Adrian,
had the appearance that it was covered by water droplets indicating oozing
honey, whereas melted wax is much more flatter in structure.

But I'm more satisfied with Blane's responce. He writes:

> Jules,

Oh, it's Steven. Jules is my account. Never mind.

> Honey will absorb moisture from the air only if the relative humidity is
> high enough.  The cappings are not air tight or they would get blown
> off when the atmospheric pressure dropped.  If the relative humidity
> is high enough honey will absorb moisture from the air through the
> cappings.  At lower relative humidities moisture will move from the
> honey to the air drying the honey.  If you put a small amount of honey
> in a flat dish and let it set for several hours it will either become
> runny from picking up moisture from the air, get thicker from losing
> water to the air or remain about the same.  It has to be pretty humid
> for honey to absorb moisture in my experience.
> blane

Now that's what I call an answer!! :-)

Steven.
TTNT
(Till The Next Time)

--
Steven Andrews
Configuration Manager / Software Engineer