From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2010 15:47:18 -0500
It would sure save me a lot of work and I could leave the
> foundation on the hives until the bees finish it, even over winter.

Getting foundation drawn below the nest this time of year is tough and
expensive but can be done if daytime temps are above 70F for a reasonable
length of time. If you are willing to feed a light syrup continuously. The
bees will draw the foundation for honey storage with thick syrup if the
temps are warm enough but will not always cap . I would guess it would take
8-9 gallons of syrup to get a full depth drawn and plugged this time of
year.
The bees in my experience will not draw below until the top box is plugged
this time of year.
We pull all foundation going into winter and try again next year.

Those of us which make a  part of our income from honey are seeing the
poorest crop in decades in my area . We are approaching 20 inches of
rainfall over the normal. I had to take two detours today as water over the
road. All the rain coming during our main & fall honey flow. I would have to
sell my honey for three dollars a pound to break even. Same as last year!

October 6th. is the liquidation sale of David Ellingson in  Minnesota. 63
years of family operation. not sure if I will attend but many of my friends
are.

I only speak in generalities when I say that when you see a liquidation sale
it means a buyer did not step up to buy the operation and the number one
reason ( may or may not be the case here please understand) is the buyer
when looking at the books over the last few years does not see enough profit
to justify buying the business intact.

My books on the beekeeping side of things would not encourage a buyer to
purchase.

The last few years have been hard on many commercial beekeepers. Hive loss
and poor honey crops can ruin you. In Missouri we have had two drought years
and two monsoon years.  Last decent honey crop was five years ago. The bees
have cost me money to run the last four years. The honey production this
year will not pay for half the production costs this year. Now I will toss a
bunch of money getting the bees ready for winter and maybe California. Some
are talking depopulation and buying packages in spring *if* the rains stop.
The owner of a commercial operation near me has taken a part time job.

Even the thought of working away from the bee farm & punching a time clock
scares me. My father said I was best suited for beekeeping as I was fired
from my first two jobs for poor attendance , arriving late and
insubordination.

Retail sales for me has been good as has been pollination this year. The
orchard has had a bumper crop and selling but my new *cold room* is full and
crates of fruit sit in the aisles.

I sleep sound at night and plan on a fishing trip to Iowa next week fishing
in the Mississippi River ( now that the extracting which usually runs until
late October is finished early). I buried another  friend last week so
business problems are of little concern.

bob