Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2010 09:47:50 -0500
>you should find no problem at all with stitching as long as your source images are taken at the same time, have a good overlap (lots of it really) and it really helps if you use a tripod.

That is good to know.  I suppose the results differ if the subject is planar.  All your other comments apply as well, so those interested in making a project of photographing frames may make use of them.

The examples I showed were just to show the potential for casual snap shooters.  I just spun on my heel and shot, shot, shot... all from one position.  As we see with the veranda shot, with all the verticals, the results are interesting and distortion is obvious.  I have done stacked shots as well, shooting several sweeps at different elevations, but did not want to bore people.  I highly recommend playing with these stitches.  My son loves to be in the first shot of a sweep, then run around and be in the last shot, too.

I made no effort to go to any special lengths.  The source images were made with a 12 or 15 megapixel camera.  I don't usually have it set to make huge files, though.

As for me, as I said, I have limited interest in using any method that requires set up or special lighting and lenses for recording frames for my beekeeping purposes.  At one time I had a pile of cameras and lenses and lights and a developing lab, but those days are long gone.  (I still have some of those relics, but they are now museum pieces).

Some people make a passion of bee photography and go to great lengths to get amazingly clear and detailed pictures.

Zach is one. See
http://cyberbee.net/
http://bees.msu.edu/

I'm not one of them.

I'll have to get a frame or two with deep, empty cells (they are all outside in the shed. It's minus 17C today.  Brrrrr) and set up a shot from 3 feet and six feet and see how my little Fuji does.  I'll also try the various Olympias and Sonys around the house if it does not do well, and I'll report back -- assuming I get around to it.  No way I'm getting out an old SRL or the Rollie and taking film shots.  No way.