From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:20:29 -0800

> > The *bulk* are LD50

 This is not accurate.  I reviewed the registration studies for clothianidin
in the US this morning.  Studies covered honey gain, foraging, within and
outside mortality, brood production, winter survival, etc.

> >and the *bulk* are studies done by the chemical company for registration.

In general, pesticide companies prefer to have independent university
researchers run the trials, so that no one can later claim bias.  But that
does not seem to keep beekeepers from insulting the best researchers!

> >http://bee-life.eu/medias/position_coeur/era-ebc-2010.pdf

Thanks for this document Ghislain--I skimmed it, and looks good!  Will study
more thoroughly.

But many miss the point of these studies.  The only ones that really apply
directly to beekeepers are whether colonies survive and are productive.
 These are two very easy variables to measure--yes/no for survival, weigh
amount of weight gain.  Not rocket science!

Any additional lab studies are merely scientifically explanatory, but not
necessary to determine the direct effect of a pesticide upon beekeepers.

I am not in any way dismissing the importance of other environmental
studies, as upon worms, birds, fish, etc.

Randy Oliver