From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:48:38 EDT
In a message dated 4/10/00 2:58:02 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< In most cases there is no real reason to drop names or identify sources,
and I either paraphrase or allude to the statement, or use a short quote and
attribute to 'a
bee researcher' or 'a friend' or such. >>

   I provide attribution so that if someone wants to research something I
have referenced for their own use, it's possible. They don't have to take my
word for it. Also, if someone wants to make sure I didn't misquote a source
or otherwise make a mistake.
   It's especially important to quote and attribute on bee-l if you are
correcting inaccurate information so that later, if someone is doing an
archive search, the error and the correction will show up in the same search.
I've been contacted off-list several times by subscribers concerned my
feelings might be hurt when they contended that I had made an error or was
way off base on something. People are trying to do the right thing, but it's
a much worse matter to leave inaccurate information uncorrected. I realize
list members are doing everybody (and me) a favor when they correct such
information. More often than not, it turns out to be a difference of opinion
rather than a true error. But different opinions are valuable too.

Richard Yarnell wrote:
<<And unless the material quoted is relatively short and a small portion of
the original work, permission must be obtained.>>

  Paraphrasing works too. Long quotes are good when bringing important
information that would be valuable for a bee-l discussion or may even be
critical for beekeepers—science or public affairs that affects the very lives
of your colonies. Sometimes I come across information that's only accessible
through paid services, so I know that if I don't quote long the information
probably won't be accessible to other list members at all. I try to strike a
balance in this gray area between disseminating valuable information and
protecting myself. The actual news in many stories that appear in newspapers
only inhabits a relatively small slice of the story near the top, and the
rest of it is background, elaboration, and "quotes for color and
entertainment." Much of that can be left behind.