From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 22:03:14 +0100
To all on Bee-L,
Dee Lusby has quoted some of my comments as posted on BioBee -L.

I hope that it is not considered bad form to try and put the discussion into context for
those who do not follow BioBee -L.
If offense is taken - my apologies and I hope that the moderators do their task!

I have been puzzled by the background references to Para-foul brood and Parasitic Mite
Syndrome for a while.

Quote as posted on BioBee-L.
"Dee,
Your mail summarizing the article "Comparison of laboratory techniques for the detection
of significant bacteria of the honeybee, Apis mellifera, in Argentina". Journal of
Apicultural Research 30(2): 75-80 (1991) by Adriana M. Alippi

Have not the possibility to read the original article, hence these questions!
1. In cases where AFB/EFB are not diagnosed but similar symptoms are present - it is then
suggested that B. alevi is the cause?
2. If B.alvei is usually associated with M.pluton and in some cases P.larvae* - samples
sent in for
analysis return with which brood disease?
 i.e, those samples with M.pluton + B.alvei, are they classed as suffering from EFB?
       those samples with P.larvae + B.alvei, are they classed as suffering from AFB?
or what.
3. When does the presence of B.alvei result in the decision that the colony has Para-foul
brood instead of AFB or EFB?
4. Is it the case that EFB and Para - Foul Brood may be confused as the two causative
agents coexist, but AFB and Para foul can't be, as either one or the other causative
agent are present*? (note the contradicting positions*)

I am really interested in what your thoughts are (or any other willing soul) on this topic

that at the moment is confusing me, (hopefully just due to lack of info.)

Many regards
Peter"

Therefore Bee-L subscribers,
I was wondering how to tackle the situation where similar topics were being discussed on
two lists - you have my attempt to square the circle!

Peter