From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2017 07:42:45 -0400
several snips followed >>by my comment...

This truly "misses the point", as it presumes that malnourished people could
afford to BUY rice.

>or that any ag producer in the third world would have the money or the supply chain to buy the essential inputs to make this improved varieties work properly.  the second item supply chain is often the essential item that many folks overlook in these sorts of discussions.

But imagine the gravity of the choices that these 3rd-World
leaders face - hardship now over the short term, or a long term economic
disaster... which does more harm?

>> and the almost inevitable long term outcome where by more folks survive the current crises which only makes the next calamity worse.

> a quick review of yields of most crops will show a quite linear climb in
the last 3 decades.

>> the Borlouge (spelling all wrong) Institute I think would disagree with this statement.

As I mentioned before, hybrid non-GMO varieties, increased fertilizer use,
improved irrigation and other management improvements turned out to be the
primary source of the rising yields in India, rather than the GE traits.
Clearly, "tried and true" can be improved upon, but this does not imply that
crops must be GMO as a part of the effort.

>> of course in many parts of the world there is neither the resources or supply chain to even make this remedy feasible.

Gene back in Central Texas after doing some real science for the 'evil corporate overlords'.