Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 18:34:12 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< powdered sugar was dusted
 over the top of the frames to cause the mites to lose their grip on the
 bees and drop. I don't recall any statistical studies but would love to
 hear if this technique has been studied as a periodic treatment in
 combination with the open mesh floors.  >>

The hive headed by my queen #54 dropped 2 mites in the 24 hours ending 8.
Sept.  The same hive dropped 46 mites in the 24 hours ending 4 Nov.  At the
beginning of the 24 hour period ending 11 Nov I poured powdered sugar
liberally on each seam of bees.  The drop was 39 mites.

You can't dump a promising theory on the basis of 1 test on 1 hive, but it
doesn't inspire confidence.

Chris