From:
Donald Aitken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:05:56 -0700
Having read Randy Oliver's "A Comparative Test of the Pollen Subs", it
seemed good to trap some pollen to supplement the pollen patties I have been
making. Since an Alberta winter prevents any real beekeeping, this is the
ideal time to make equipment. I decided to make some copies of a trap that
is placed on top of the broodchamber. The plan requires a rectangular frame
of wood made of material 3/4 of an inch thick and approximately 1 1/4 inch
wide. Having some old 2x8 material, I decided to rip it into 3/4 by 1 1/2
strips and plane them to 3/4 by 1 1/4.

I have an inexpensive old planer that tends to snipe the ends of the planed
boards about 1/32 inch thinner that the rest of the length. There are many
articles in the woodworking pages about this, giving many methods which help
but do not cure the problem. While trying to make the planer behave, it
occurred to me that it was not sniping off the ends of the boards, but
rather the head was rising up when the board went through due to the
pressure exerted by the feed rollers, thus leaving the main section too
thick.

The solution was simple. I put in 4 wedges under the planer head and pulled
it down tight on them with the feed handle. The head could no longer rise as
the board went through and the "sniping" went away completely. See
attachment)

                                    Best regards

                                    Donald Aitken