From:
Doug Tompsett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:07:02 -0400
Funny, I was going through some of the equipment around here the other day with my old mentor (bought him out)... he pulled one of those out, and says he used them to help catch swarms.  If he thought a hive might swarm, but wouldn't be able to get to the yard for a few days, he would put one of these on.

But the ones we've got have another piece of screen on it I recall.

Basic concept is... other bees can get through, but the queen gets trapped in that small area.  The swarm is essentially captured, because the queen doesn't leave.  Then you are able to transfer that queen to another hive and start anew.

Atleast, that was his explanation to me.

He was eager to grab one to take to a friend's place... since one of her hives had just swarmed, and he wanted to get this on incase it swarmed a 2nd time.

Doug.