From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 22:08:20 -0600
The species looks so
> similar that he had to find a V destructor to put side by side to tell the
> difference.

Perhaps a new halotype and not varroa jacobsoni or destructor.

After  Denis made his observation many ( myself) went back over the pictures
dating back to 1904 of varroa jacobsoni and varroa  destructor in the U.S.
( by our researchers) and only a blind man could not see the difference.

I gave an issue number and page for an ABJ article on BEE-L years ago( in
archives)  in which the front photo was of a jacobsoni and the back side
photo was of a varroa destructor. With both varroa pictures side by side the
difference was so easily displayed even a cave man could see the difference.

After Denis found the two were very different in shape the worlds
researchers quickly agreed  as the shape difference was so obvious.

Randy said:
> We now have a new name.

The new fact is:
The world researchers could not see the obvious difference in shape between
varroa destructor and varroa jacobsoni!

> Actually, jacobsoni is the problem in PNG, and may well spread to the rest
> of the world, as V destructor (Korean haplotype) did.

Whatever!
( should I be terrified?)
Same things which kill varroa d.. kill varroa J.

One of these days Randy privately I will share the *untold* story of the way
varroa entered the U.S. and why the country responsible felt U.S. beekeeping
needed a problem at the time.

I went searching for answers years ago and the evidence backing up the
beekeepers story was sound.
My curiosity was met but unless the person with the varroa in a container
was
caught who would believe the story?

The person from the country was saw in the bee yard with an open hive and
asked his business and to leave. Within a couple months varroa was found in
the yard. First find.

Varroa will live 7 days without a host , easily concealed and in those days
could easily be slipped through customs at the airport. The yard was a
couple miles from an International airport and easily seen from the air by
frequent visitors from the country. Also the visitor told beekeepers he had
just arrived from said country and wanted to look at some U.S. hives.

To my knowledge  myself and the beekeeper are the only two people to believe
varroa could have been introduced on purpose.

Many believed that a researcher might have done the introduction but we
quickly ruled that out the deeper we looked at the case. Money ( the root of
all evil) was behind the varroa introduction we decided.
At the time period it was easy to see the people with the most to gain.

Enough said:

bob