From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jun 2009 09:40:45 -0400
> About 50% of my colonies aren’t reaching proper strength by natural floral
> sources.

Bob made some very good comments.  One thing I wonder, though is about
genetics.  Commercial beekeepers usually try to have consistent genetics in
each area so that management can be streamlined.  If there are a wide range
of genetics in a yard, then some hives will be plugged from last fall, and
others starving.  Some will be swarming and some will be just waking up for
the year. I've seen it.

Each strain of bees has its strong points in a specific environment or
application ...and also weak points.  We've been over that quite a bit on
BEE-L, so I won't repeat.  In short, there are some bees that are very
productive and some that never make a surplus; some that are disease
resistant and others that get every disease and then some.  Nonetheless,
each strain must all be adapted to *some* niche or they would not exist.
(Frankenstein bees resulting from breeding programmes notwithstanding).

What I am wondering, and you have already considered this I imagine, is that
I understand that you are working with survivor stock, open-mated, and may
have quite a mix.  As a result, you might be expected to have bees that have
a lot of pollen stores and some with none in the spring as well as
conservative bees mixed with prolific bees.  As a result, what you are
seeing may be what you should expect to see.

I understand that you may be wishing to compensate for the natural
tendencies of some components of your stock, but should mention that if your
primary goal is breeding and selection, that you will skew your genetics
over time to bees that need feeding by supplying feed annually.  (One-time
or emergency feeding will not have the same effect, at least to the same
degree).

That evolution is not necessarily a bad thing if you recognize that fact and
accept it.  After all, from a commercial perspective, it makes sense to feed
$10 worth of patties to get $50 more honey.

For those who are working through all the necessary steps to get a hardy,
self-sufficient, natural, locally adapted bee, the above result might not be
desirable, but for commercial beekeepers, who buy all or most of their stock
and are not trying to breed bees, or who accept that their region or methods
are unsuited to bees that are not fed, there is no such conflict.

If you are in between or undecided, then that is a dilemma.