From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 21:36:18 -0500
On 14 Feb 00, at 11:18, Peter R Watt wrote:

> I have used screened floors here in Scotland for the last ten years. Never
> has there been any attempt to propolise the opening. However the converse
> is definitely a different story. Any screening above the bees is sealed
> off as fast as they can manage. I once bought a hive that had a travelling
> screen on it as a crown-board or inner cover, which was virtually
> completely sealed with propolis. The message from my bees is quite clear.
> They don't want drafts above, but are quite happy to have them below. As
> the idea of screened floors spreads I would like to hear of colonies
> sealing off the floor. I suspect I might have a long wait! Wishing all a
> good season, Pete.

I have to disagree with part of this post. We have been working with
a ventilated hive top for 11 years and find a different point
altogether.
        Agreed the bees will propolise any upper screening, but only in late
summer, usually when there are full supers above. My reasoning tells
me it's to keep out intruders and protect that resource, for the rest
of the year our bees leave the screens alone. Perhaps we've educated
our bees over the years, as we always unplug them in time for winter.

The Bee Works, 5 Edith Drive, R R # 2.
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H2.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre,