From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 15:49:00 -0500
 Mike High wrote Fri 22nd Dec
>Well, I have gotten SOME advice.Still nothing real
>positive.Background: The Hives have no mite problems, the were
>checked & certified free. Also, they have no top entrances.As
>far as strong colonies, all were fairly strong, not record
>breakers, but not puny either.They see to get hit when it cools
>down & they cluster, then those god-damn moths start & go
>through like shit though a cane break. For some reason the bees
>never get around to whacking them before they get whacked.Still
>waiting for ideas.

I have already had my say, but can't resist one more point. There are bees
which are not hygenic, they live in real messy conditions. Signs are, a real
messy bottom board, debris and cappings on the bottom. (This is one point on
our breeding check list.) Is it possible they are not cleaning up the stuff
left by the wax moths? Must admit this one has me baffled!!
        When you say no top entrance, I assume your boxes are hole free!!
There is a ray of hope in the distance. The University of Guelph is doing
some work on a wax moth trap. Working on pheromones!!
   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1.*
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks          *