From:
John Sturman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:04:07 -0500
Hello,

I have been keeping bees for about 8 or 9 years and get stung on a regular
basis.  I was recently diagnosed with arthritis in my wrists and
fingers.  I, too, always heard that beekeepers don't get arthritis so I was
surprised to find out I have it.  My condition is not very bad at all,
experiencing pain occasionally and after a lot of wrist and hand activity.

I started stinging myself on the hands a sting or tow a day and found a
tremendous improvement in my comfort level.  I also started stinging my 18
year old cat who suffers greatly from arthritis.  He now runs around the
house with apparently much less pain and a lot more ease of movement than I
have seen in him for many years.

A few years ago I had taken the Internet Apitherapy course offered by Dr.
Stangaciu from Romania.  I learned a lot of great information but got no
first-hand experience, just a lot of academic learning under my belt.  It
was from a good friend that I got the tips and advice I needed to get started.

I am sure that we will never see good scientific evidence of proven value
of bee stinging or other apitherapy methods.  The medical and
pharmaceutical communities have a lot to lose by endorsing the use of
honeybees and their products to alleviate symptoms of these ailments
(including arthritis, MS, even cancer). Typically Americans will spend
thousands of dollars annually to treat and try to cure these ailments.

I feel it's up to we beekeepers to share this age-old wisdom with our loved
ones and neighbors.  Then again i feel very little discomfort getting stung
at this point, while for others (non-beekeepers) it is probably much more
painful.  Oh well, they'll get used to it too.

Best regards,
John