From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 08:19:11 -0400
James Fischer wrote:
> Here's a semi-obvious observation from someone who has
> an open mind, but not so open that just any idea can
> just wander in one ear and take over the joint:

> To use a notation that is easier to type, I'd suggest that
> we use an "A" to represent an upside-down "Y", so we can have:
>
> Frame Number                1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
>                            -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> A "perfect YA Housel"      YA YA YA YA YA YA YA YA YA YA
> A "perfect AY Housel"      AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY
>
> "AY", Error In Frame 2     AY YA AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY
> "YA", Error In Frame 3     YA YA AY YA YA YA YA YA YA YA
>
> An "AY YA" Anti-Housel     AY YA AY YA AY YA AY YA AY YA
> A "YA AY" Anti-Housel      YA AY YA AY YA AY YA AY YA AY

Following up on Jim's comments, I suggest that the probability of
achieving a "perfect" Housel is nearly impossible. The reason is that
the frame, when removed and reinserted, even if the orientation is the
same, will not go in the exact same spot because of the spacing at
either end of the topbar. If it displaces a few mm in either direction,
you can end up with "improperly" oriented frames. Even the vertical
spacing can change if the frame does not set down exactly as it had
been. As can lateral displacement, but that would only increase spacing
between frames.

Add the known variables that occur between manufacturers and use a
different frame or hive body and you further increase variability and
potential displacement.

Then there are the bees. We know that their own cell spacing is
variable, even on pressed foundation. So they also will contribute to
non-Housel positioning.

Plus, all this assumes that every sheet of foundation was positioned
exactly the same by the beekeeper, and not off by a couple of mm.

If it does what it is suppose to do, we need better engineered hive
bodies and frames with stricter tolerances and pre positioned
foundation. Then leave the brood boxes alone forever and never move a
frame. We also need either bees which draw uniform comb or bees with
advanced degrees or at least some ability to use a transit. (Mine are
only proficient with a level and have never gone further than BS.)

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine