From:
Marc Studebaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 07:14:43 -0500
John Francis wrote:

>I have three hives, that I plan to winter, when it becomes winter here in
>Kentucky (US). I want to put them in an old shed on my property. I know
this
>has many advntages - any caveats . . . or are there any suggestions to
>maximize the benefits of doing this - At what temperature would you
>recommend doing this.

John:
The weather in KY allows for many cleansing flights thoughout the winter and
I would recommend leaving your hives at there present location.  You should
prepare for winter by treating colonies for disease, provide an upper
entrance, reduce the entrance, get the hive up 8" from the ground and make
sure they have enough stores.
Usually only beekeepers in the far north winter there hive in buildings.

Marc Studebaker
Geneva, IN.