From:
Robert Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:25:50 -0600
Hello David!
 Sodium sulfathiazole is one of the very early chemotherapy compounds, used
to treat bacterial infections in both humans and other animals.  This
preparation has a bad problem in that it does not dissolve or stay
insolution well;  as a consequence, it crystallized in kidneys too much,
shutting the kidneys down, and in worse scenario could result in
death....keeping in  mind that there was no other such substance to use
immediately following its development in 1937 (in Germany). Within ten
years, much, much, improved similar compounds, such a sulfadiazine were
available, and these were used in prophylactic medication of foul
brood....it held the spores in check, and thus foul brood.  With the
demonstration that  terramycin would accomplish the same with less
likelyhood of sensitivity reactions, the beekeepers made the switch, and
sulfa drugs were declared off limits in bee operations.  I have not
researced this afresh, and refuse to stand pat on every word of this....but
I think it is quite accurate.   Regards,
Bob Barnett, Birmingham, Alabama.