From:
queenbee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 18:47:01 +1000
> Antibiotics are used in the orchards producing apples - and other fruits.

I believe that streptomycin and terramycin are used to combat fire blight in
apples.  One of the reasons we do not want fire blight here in Australia.

I remember back in 1986 when touring the USA and Canada, sulphathiazole was
in common use then.  It was use against AFB.  I believe it was not
registered for that use but was being used all the same.

I also recall that not long after we came home after the tour, Canadian
honey was banned in the USA because of sulphur residues.  We were told on
the tour that when the stocks of honey in the USA built up and they wanted
to stop imports from Canada they did some analysis and would inevitably find
sulphur residues.   Whilst honey was short in the USA no testing was done on
imported Canadian honey.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA
Coming to Apimondia in Australia in 2007?