From:
Eugene Makovec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 22:21:25 EDT
I thought it was just me.  I had heard that Buckfasts were both gentle and
prolific producers, as well as being somewhat resistant to disease and
tracheal mites.

This past Spring I split a hive and called a gentleman I'd bought a queen from
last year.  He didn't have any Italians so he sold me a Buckfast queen (a
Weaver descendant).  It sounded just fine to me at the time, though it was
more expensive.

But those Buckfasts have turned out to be the meanest bees I've dealt with.
Granted, I've only been doing this for 3 years with only 3 hives, but I've not
had this experience before.  I have only to pop open the top of the hive and a
couple come after me.  It's been like this the last 3 visits.  I'm debating
whether to medicate them along with the other hives or just let them take
their chances with Varroa.

Eugene Makovec
Kirkwood, MO