Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2016 03:29:42 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
>   I am curious, does anyone agree with this article? 

I will leave it to others to enumerate their points of disagreement,but in regards to the underacknowledgement of N. Ceranae, I agree.
I will share my anecdote here, for those compiling data.   :-)

Several years back, despite employing multiple methods of varroa control, I was experiencing a nebulous failure-to-thrive that I struggled to put my finger on.   My honey harvests were sufficient, but not spectacular.  

Being somewhat cautious about Fumigillin, I had determined not to use it until I could convince myself of need.   Instead, thymolated feed was used to control spoilage, with the expectation it would also help mitigate any nascent Nosema.  Not seeing any winter episodes of Montezuma's revenge, I'd assumed my approach was successful.

In the winter of 2014/15, I lost all 5 of my hives.   Asking around the area it was learned that almost every other hive within a 2 mile radius had died[1] [2].   The total hivebody count came out to 15.  Like my own, all were found heavy with honey, short on bee-corpses, and had died November-ish.     

The month of death itself is significant, as most hive deaths around here happen mid-winter or spring.   

Few in my district do Varroa control, and none had ever used Fumigillin.

Samples were taken, and Dr. Nasr's staff confirmed a diagnosis of N. Ceranae.
Thus, I constructed the following narrative:    My district's Nosema load had been building on our hives for several years, in a cumulative process of cross/re infection.     All the dominoes fell at a similar time, because they were all ready to fall.    As one domino fell, and was robbed out, it pushed the robbing hive past its own tipping point.

In the winter of 2015/16, and spring 2016, I used Fumigillin.    Winter survival was better than previous, and my hives have never been so strong.

It is clear to me that Ceranae is a currently underrecognized factor.   In this respect I must give Mr. Conrad my slow-clap agreement.

[1]  The single exception being a recently hived swarm, building it's own new comb.   
[2]  Upon visiting others, I came across a top bar keeper who had helpfully spread comb from his dead hive around his yard to help feed other bees, because the bees are dying and he wanted to help.  Sigh.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2