From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 08:40:14 -0400
John Mitchell wrote "... Honeybees don't nest in the ground...."

Had I not seen it with my own eyes, I would have agreed with John.  I would
have adamntly insisted that honeybees
simply do not dwell underground.  However, last summer while sightseeing in
Ireland after the FIBA meeting in
Gormanston I happened upon a colony of bees who were doing just that!  In a
graveyard at Round Tower (near Gort)
there was a very active colony of bees in the ground under a very large,
flat, horizantal gravestone.  I took many pictures,
but unfortunately, given the high grass growing around the stone and the
lichens growing on the stone, it is very difficult
to make out the bees as the came and went into the ground.  The bees would
land on the stone and crawl into the ground.
One can only imagine what the comb was like!

Aaron Morris - thinking Stephen King should see this one!