From:
TNT Apiaries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 07:20:30 -0700
The Pierco one-piece frame has been redesigned several times as molds wear
out and it is really quite different than it was 25, even 10 years ago.
The ears are stronger, etc.   I was wondering if this top bar problem is
still an issue with the newer model or are these reports based on product
produced years ago?

We don't purchase the Pierco one-piecers anymore for reasons other than
those stated in previous posts, but we do use the Pierco inserts.   We have
tried a few thousand sheets each of Permadent, Durocomb, Plasticell, etc,
etc, but our testing always came up Pierco.  Quicker acceptance, quality,
ease to work with, etc.  The differences were subtle, but in our minds
enough avoid the others if we could.   Suffice to say, we'll only be putting
in Pierco (10,000 sheets) this year.  We prefer the black.  The competion
may have changed their molds in the last couple of years, but Pierco
(inserts & one-piecers) did have more cells per side than anyone else.
Everyone else was making a bigger cell pattern, for bigger bees, more open
surface area, what have you. I think the molds were also cheaper and easier
to produce with those larger cells. Pierco stuck to the more traditional
measurements, maybe that is why we see some of the thnigs we like about
their product.

Pierco sells a pile of frames George, so in my mind it's more like: Some
people drive Chevs, some drive Dodges & some prefer Fords.

Dave Tharle
Ardmore,AB

P.S. IMHO, the one true disaster (in our climate at least) is Duragilt.  It
was the first generation of plastic foundation inserts and can make you sick
at just about anytime of the year or at any point of the operation.  Perhaps
it's the Brussel Sprouts. Thankfully the industry moved on.

DMT