From:
Don Semple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2012 09:38:57 -0500
In reponse to Allen's and others feeding post which were promted by my comment about not wanting to feed.

To put my position in context, I practice unlimited brood nests with local feral derived stock and my hives carry a large surplus of honey reserves all season. No bees are ever left low on reserves. I'm very lucky to live in an area with diverse sources honey and pollen where bees collect a surplus of both.

And, should any collonies get close to not having enough of either at anytime I Robin-hood whole boxes of stores to the weak.

Yes, it's not maximizing profits, but I've always been good at making money and I'm to the point in my life where I want to enjoy my work as well as make a buck.

The problems I have with feeding, particularly summer feeding after harvest, which is common here, is that it stimulates brood rearing at the wrong times of the year for treatment free beekeeping to be succesful. My mite counting (which you all taught me) has shown me that in my local area that brood breaks are an important component to keeping the varroa population in check.

Don Semple - Beehaver ;)
Overland Park, KS