Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:50:03 -0400
I would like to set up a couple of hives here on Long Island next spring and
would like to pick the most suitable hive construction, hopefully, from the
start so as not to have to make a change at some later point.  I sure
appreciate everyone's input. :)

>>When Harvesting honey, I slide the telescoping lid forward, exposing the
frames at the "back" of the hive, and smoke them lightly.  If it is cool,
thre are few bees in the back of the hive. [...] With a TBH, a twist of the
wrist breaks the combs off into a bucket or pan, but if you have standard
frames, you will want to have an empty hive body or box to place them in.

I remember my uncles in Poland using the long hive configuration some years
ago when I used to visit them and help out occasionally.  The hives were set
a bit higher off the ground, than I have seen done in the US, so that the
hive tops were roughly waist high.  It was comfortable to inspect the hives
in the upright position and remove the frames ready for extracting honey.
There was no need for handling any hive bodies - just the top/inner covers
and the frames themselves.  In the spring, when the colonies were at their
smallest, the secondary, movable insulating back wall would be moved up
towards the entrace to give the bees a smaller space they could fill.
Frames were added at the back as the colonies expanded during the nectar
flow.

One of the websites, mentioned that the long or TBH configuration results in
'less but better honey.'  Did you find this to be the case ?  Can folks
comment on this from their own experience ?  I could not see why this config
would yield less honey.  Or why it would be better, for that matter.

I also have a question about whether or not TBH's can use screened bottoms.

>>It cost me about $40 to have my giant plywood lid covered with sheet
metal, but it looks really nice!

I can see myself getting a roll of aluminum coil from a building supplies
store and bending it to form the outer skin of the top cover.  It's easy
enough to do.

Waldemar

PS.  I plan to inquire about these matters at the next LI Beekeepers Club
meeting as well. :)

Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
Only $9.95 per month!