From:
Pollinator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 09:08:48 EST
In a message dated 97-12-07 03:23:04 EST, [log in to unmask] (Patrick
& Mary Caldwell) writes:

<<  I read an article in the American Bee Journal a while back about "poison
 pollen," listing plants whose pollen is poisonous to bees.  I recently
 re-read the article, and noticed that I have one of them in my backyard:
 Carolina Jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens).  As I am planning on putting
 two bee hives in my yard in the spring, should I be concerned about having
 this plant?  >>

     We have an abundance of jasmine (that's what it is called around here).
Most years the bees do not touch it. This past spring it seemed there was more
jasmine bloom than I have seen in years. But I never saw any bee activity on
it.

    When it is a poor spring, with few nectar sources, the bees will sometimes
work it. Then you will see some poisoned brood. It has never been serious, and
the bees always recover okay.  The later ti ti bloom is more serious, as this
is a major nectar plant. But we've not seen that to ever be fatal, either. The
worst you see is a patch or two of dead brood, and that never as bad as a
minor pesticide hit.

    So, one plant in your back yard should not be a serious worry.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm