From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:38:33 +0200
Hi All

I am about to 'cherry pick' a statement out of Mikes post of 10/21/06
11:45 PM and use it to illustrate another point.

 > These colonies that need feed at the end of the season are still
 > a valuable resource. They provide bees and brood for the next
 > seasons' splits. Their genes are removed from the pool, but the
 > colonies still have a place in my apiary.

I see this as excellent bee management practice and have done much the
same myself under UK conditions, but the point I wish to make is about
selection and culling for improvement of stocks.

We are always talking about 'selecting the best' and 'culling the worst'
this does not mean that we 'destroy' the worst.

By selecting the best we are talking about deliberately raising queens
and drones only from those colonies that we wish to keep or enhance the
properties of.

The other side of the coin is that culling the worst is arranging not to
breed from those stocks that we have marked down as unsuitable for our
purposes, for instance, drone brood destruction as a varroa control
method can be practised quite severely in colonies that are not intended
to be bred from. There will always be a percentage of drones raised to
maturity in these colonies that will become involved in matings, but
this is actually helpful in maintaining diversity. In the late season
you make up the nucs and use freshly raised and mated queens that have
been produced by 'selected' colonies, all that gets destroyed in this
process is the old queens that we were unhappy with the performance of.
The bees and brood have been raised recently and thus the impact of any
previous winter feeding is out of the equation.

I can also make a point about the artificiality of feeding sugar or
honey...

Whether honey or sugar is used for winter feeding, the process is still
a support measure, you cannot magically make a poor colony 'good' just
by feeding it honey.

But there is a place for supportive feeding in the early stages of a
breeding program that seeks to naturalize bees in an area where there
was originally no natural background population. In the early stages of
such a program we may have quite a mixture of colony types, some
colonies exhibiting genes that we consider useful to our survival
strategy, but not all genes are expressed in all colonies, in such cases
we need to give supplementary feeding to ensure as many colonies survive
as possible so that in subsequent generations the wanted genes may
become more abundant in each colony.

If such supportive feeding is carried out, sucrose may be a much better
option than honey as the incompletely naturalized bee stocks may be
unable to cope (during winter) with honey that has been produced from
the plants available in the un-colonised geographic region.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)