Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 10:09:52 -0500
Quote:
>You don't say where you are (in what state), or how much experience you have.
>  I suspect you are a beginner and if so, you better start reading
>some bee books
>like The Beekeepers Handbook, 3rd Edition, by Dr. Diana Sammataro.  Get a
>Christmas present and start LEARNING.

I thought this was a little rough.  Our correspondent is merely
asking a question, and should not be subjected to condescension. I
believe that the only bad question is the one you don't ask. I would
hope people would feel free to ask questions of the group, no matter
the nature of the question.

Having moved from San Diego with 25 years of bee experience to
Upstate New York, I know how much has to be learned simply because
one is in a new area. Very little of what I *thought I knew* could be
translated. I have to ask questions constantly. In fact, I ask almost
every beekeeper I meet "what is the main honey plant here?"

In San Diego, we had a main honey plant: eucalyptus. It always
yielded, rain or shine. In the 3 years I have worked in Upstate New
York, the bulk of the honey has come from a different source every
year. One year black locust, one year basswood, one year goldenrod.
No matter what you "know" you better be on your toes and learning!!

Peter Borst
Ithaca, NY USA