From:
Charles Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 14:45:26 -0600
On Wed, 27 Aug 1997 11:34:14 -0400, Linda Campbell wrote:

>I'm going to jump right in. Please excuse me if I am violating any rules of the group. This is my first day on the list and I haven't been able to find
my answer elsewhere.

>First of all, I don't have bees, yet but I am concerned about the ones I will be getting in the spring.
>
>A farmer down the road has a wild hive of honey bees that have been making their home in the casing to a transmission of an abandoned
bulldozer on the edge of the woods. I've been keeping an eye on them, looking for a swarm, since retrieval would be difficult to impossible as
they enter through one small screw hole. We recently noticed many bees on the outside of the rusted casing. I looked closer and noticed that
many (90%) of the bees outside the hive have no wings. A friend says they are deformed from varroa mite infestation and that the colony will be
dead in a month. This saddens me but of more concern is what happens to the mites?

>Will the mites still be alive and well and eager if my new colony comes to this spot to rob honey from the dozer transmission. Should I leave
these bees to die or should I try to do something. It seems the bees are doomed but I am most worried about the proliferation of the varroa mites.
Any suggestions or experience on the subject would be appreciated.

>Thanks and apologies if this in inappropriate.
>
>Linda Campbell
>Suffolk, VA
>On the border or the Great Dismal Swamp

The Bees and mites will be dead by spring.

Charles Harper
Harper's Honey farm
Carencro LA.
900+ Hives