From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 10:13:15 -0400
This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the BEE-L
list at LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU.  It was edited to remove quoted material.

Hi Bob,and All,

I have a rather strange question. I have a few hives behind my shop
where I can look out at them to see what they are up to.Yesterday,and
this morning I didn`t look out at them,but wish that I had. This
afternoon I rode out on my 4 wheeler to have a close look,and found a
lot of pieces of bees on top of both hives.

The pieces were the back end of the bees with no head.After looking a
little closer I found a pile of bird crap on top of the feeders that I
have.Apparently there is some type of bird that will catch the
bees,bight the front halve of the bee off and eat it,and leave the
back half of the bee lying on the hive.I remember seeing a little of
that a few years ago,but had forgotten about it.

Needles to say I am not very happy about this,and tomorrow I will sit
in my back window,and shoot the bird if it returns. I really don`t
know what bird would do this.Has anyone else noticed this happening to
any of their bees,and identified the breed of bird?

Wayne Young