From:
yoonytoons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 06:58:54 -0400
Robert:

“The second and most important is what effect it would have on developing
larvae. I have always been told to avoid the brood area when dusting as it
could dry out the larvae. What are some thoughts on that?”

According to the archive, if I remember correctly, especially following
Jim’s account, dusting will not harm the larvae.  Or so I thought.
However, even if the dusting kills the larvae off, possibly infected with
mites, and I realize this side effect is not the original intention, it
will be okay, too, since such kill-off provides an artificial broodless
period, providing a gap in the life cycle of VD (varroa destroyer),
Robin’s point earlier.  Dusting frame by frame will dry up the larvae
faster if one lays the frame down flat, but since the blast comes through
the entrance and floats up, wouldn’t it minimize a direct bombardment,
particularly given the slight upward angle of each cell?  A mechanized
unit, I agree, will be great, especially with a thin T-shape rod, with
multiple holes facing up, that will invade deep into the hive and shoot
the particles up.

Am still bothered by these simple paradoxes, though: (1) Why kept bees,
untreated, die eventually whereas the feral bees seem to thrive on their
own, thus making our “care” or “love” dubious,  questionable, and
ultimately irresponsible.  (2) The harder we hit mites with harsh
chemicals, the more resistant VD will be.  (Sounds like the Uncertainty
Principle in locating the position of proton, doesn’t it?)  If so, why
can’t we apply the same principle to our bees?   Wouldn’t they rebound if
we try to kill them off more often, rather than trying to save the sick at
all cost?  Look at the methods we have at our disposal for rescuing them
from myriad bee maladies: they remind me of the life-support [tubes] in an
intensive care unit, and the patient is still dying, hooked up.

Yoon
Shawnee, OK