From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 15:51:22 -0500
On 25 Jan 97 at 23:28, Dr. Pedro Rodriguez wrote: Re: "Silver Bullet"

> sheets placed on the bottom boards). MO is much more fluid and thus,
> like you "wondered" it penetrates the pores of the mites more readily
> blocking the pores and killing the mites through SUFFOCATION AND
> DEHYDRATION. From my food service experience in the Army and USDA, I
> know that Food Grade Mineral Oil does not contaminate the food or the
> environment and is approved by the government for use in food service
> industries. Hence we have a substance that is lethal to mites, it is not
> a pesticide, it is bee friendly (used in proper amounts) and environment
> friendly.

Why is it necessary to use waxed paper? Which would not absorb much
material!   I would assume that regular paper towels would hold more
mineral oil, and would therefore require less treatments.
         Is this treatment applied to the top of the hive? If so it is then
dependant on the bees removing the paper and discarding it out the front
entrance.
        Or, is it placed on the bottom board, in which case it is the traffic
across the paper, before it is removed?
        Clarification please!

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario, Canada. L3V 6H1
David Eyre, Owner. Phone/Fax 705 326 7171
Dealers for E.H.Thorne & B.J.Sherriff UK
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks