From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 07:41:33 -0500
An observation on this method. I though from Dr. R. that the mite killing mechanism was
the same as that he observed on mites on horses, namely the mites were suffocated by the
MO. It would seem that putting the FGMO into an icing or more solid state would decrease
its efficiency in killing varroa. If you are giving the FGMO a competitor, namely the
sugar,  to adhere to I would think that you would have to break the surface tension of
the FGMO/sugar to have it shift to the varroa. And even if it did, enough oil would
remain with the sugar to reduce the transport efficiency compared to FGMO by itsself.
Any comments?
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME