Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2010 23:34:00 -0500
This has been a good thread, with many levels of expertise applied.  Thanks.

I think, though, that each of us has a different idea of what is good enough. Personally, I am looking for speed and convenience for measuring brood, and if the job was fussy or costly, or slow, it would not get done.  There is the trade-off.

When I first brought up the matter, I was just looking for a way to standardize what I am doing and that is holding a frame in one hand and the camera in the other and shooting.  What I get is almost good enough for my purposes, but I think I will try a refinement, namely a simple, lightweight jig that holds the camera 3 feet from the frames and a lever to hit the shutter release. If that does not do the job, then on to Plan B, and C...

Others, though may come up with schemes which are simple, inexpensive and much better.  I look forward to hearing about and seeing examples.  One comment about stitching though.  In my experience with ICE and other such panoramic software is that there is some distortion and fuzziness and confusion in the overlaps, especially if the shots are taken at different angles or there is lens distortion in the camera.  Perhaps it was just the overly casual approach I took to the project.  At any rate the point of using a macro setting or lens would be to approach perfection and this could be a limiting factor.

One example I did is at http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/images/2010/bridgeview.jpg
Another is at http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/images/2010/DSCF6622_stitch.jpg

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/