From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:27:38 EST
This message was  originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the
BEE-L list at LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU.  It was edited to correct an URL.

------------------ Original message (ID=27FEC4) (70 lines) --------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:53:06 -0700
To: [log in to unmask]
From: Jerry J Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Environmental Monitoring With Bees
Cc: [log in to unmask]

Hi:

We recently got a new set of requests about our use of honey bees as
environmental sentinels.

Two recent EPA newsletters cover this topic, are relatively short, and
can be accessed via the Internet:

1.  EPA's Partners in Progress Newsletter, January 1999 issue, entitled
The Buzz on Environmental Monitoring can be found at

http://www.epa.gov/swerffrr/doc/pip199.htm

The EPA Newsletter is from the Solid Waste and Emergency Response (5101)
group, EPA Publication  EPA505-B-99-001 (should be in any library with a
federal document repository), Vol. 2, Issue 1, Page 1, 6 and 7.  It
contains one error that we have found:  losses of bees at Millcreek MT,
not Milltown MT helped alert officials of an area later found to be
hazardous to children's health.

2) EPA's Tech Trends Newsletter, October, 1998 issue.  Honeybees and
Bluegills Used for Environmental Monitoring.

The web address

http://clu-in.org/PRODUCTS/NEWSLTRS/TTREND/tt1098.htm

will bring you to the top of the October issue.
The Newsletter will come up with a lead article on "Inside-Out"
Well for Simultaneous Soil Vapor and Ground Water Sampling, followed by
our article.

Again, you can find the Newsletter in some libraries.  EPA Solid Waste
and Emergency Response   EPA 542-N-08-009, Issue No. 31, pages 2 and 3.

Both of these articles were intended for a general audience - hopefully
you will find them readable.

Cheers

Jerry
Jerry J. Bromenshenk