From:
Conrad Sigona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 10:58:00 -0500
> Another question!  It is said that fermentation is more likely to happen
> after honey crystalises than at any other time.  would some body please
> tell me why this so .  I need an answer invery simple lay person's
> language - Science is not my forte.

It is the concentration of sugar dissolved in the liquid which stops
the honey from fermenting. If honey crystallizes, sugar that was spread
throughout the honey winds up in the crystals, in effect lowering the
concentration of sugar in the remaining liquid. At some point, enough of
the sugar has crystallized and the concentration in the liquid becomes
low enough to permit fermentation.

Conrad Sigona