From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:03:57 -0600
 However, I didn't see any tolerance to varroa,
> but could have been given a different line.

I think I am the only person which has ever left hives untreated to test
varroa tolerance with the Aussies
and do some tracheal mite testing. \

A package( free of varroa )  placed on comb should not need treatment until
the next spring unless picking up infestation from heavily infested hives in
the area.

I have seen nucs I made up with varroa in the brood and bees go a similar
time period which is substantial in commercial beekeeping. Many factors
involved.

I have never had bees which flew as early or late in the day or in rain.

The Aussies bees are not in the league of varroa tolerance are Russians but
in my opinion the Russian ( I have used and tested being hundreds of hives)
are not in the league of honey & brood producers as the Aussies.

I do not plan on giving up on treating for varroa mites so varroa tolerance
is good but not absolutely a necessity in my bees.

However to say the Aussie bees (Browns Bees) which have had genetics
introduced from the best varroa tolerant lines of Italy and selected for
hygienic behavior have no varroa tolerance is simply not true.

Selecting for hygienic behavior is not rocket science. Actually so easy "A
cave man could do it". I have explained the procedure in several of my
articles. I have said before and say again that I do not want to strong a
hygienic behavior in my bees as the bees spend all their time pulling varroa
and brood and you end up with half ofyour bees aborted and a shotgun brood
pattern.
I mean no disrespect to Marla but I am in the business of beekeeping and my
job is not to find a solution to varroa. I have been very successful doing
the opposite of the beekeeping industry most of the time.\

I am on an island off the coast of Florida and water is supposed to go over
the road tonight closing the road so most likely will be a few days before I
can cross the road to an internet hookup.
Will answer other emails later but must cross the road back to the island
as the storm which caused the rain in California is hitting the Gulf Coast
tonight and we are under a severe storm warning.

bob