From:
Kent Stienburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 14:17:48 -0500
I've put some more thought to this upper entrance thread.  A few questions
come to mind.

1. What happens if you have a supercedure?  The way it looks  is the  queen
can get out but not back in. Unless she comes to the upper entrance.  But
then that puts here above the excluder which would defeat the purpose.

2.  What happens to the drones?  Since they can't get back in do they just
pile into the honey supers or just die.  Neither one of these seems like a
positve.

3. What would happen if you didn't use the excluder?  Since it seems that
there would be less chance for the nest to become honey bound wouldn't the
queen be more apt to stay low atleast until the first super is full?

4.  I would think that the foragers would be likely to store the honey up
then going down. I'm making this conclusion from the bees actions through
out the winter.

5.  Are the bees able to keep the hive clean?  I can't see how the bees
would get any dead bees out with out m help.

Kent Stienburg
Ontario Canada