From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 08:53:31 -0400
Checked my ABC XYZ and Hydrogen Peroxide is not in ripe honey. It
is produced by Glucose Oxidase when the honey is diluted. It is
easily destroyed by heating.
When the honey is at 18-19 percent moisture, the enzyme is not
active. Greater than that, it produces Hydrogen Peroxide and
Gluconic Acid, both of which act as antibacterial agents.
So somthing more than peroxide is going on in the down under
honeys, if, from my reading, Glucose Oxidase is normally in
honey. It would be interesting if heat is the real cause of some
honeys being less effective, since the enzyme is destroyed or
inhibited by heat.
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME