Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2013 12:40:40 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
I would like to mention another. This person made a lot of people angry over the years; he was highly opinionated and a male chauvinist. However, it would be wrong to overlook him because of this, because he nurtured and mentored so many people who went on to become important players in the field of apiary science. 

The list is long of the people who got degrees at Cornell University, most of them advised by Prof. Roger Morse. Or as Tom Seeley affectionately called him, "Doc". So it is as much for whom Roger helped as what he did, that he should be remembered. In Tom's own words:

> I spent the summer working as a helper for the late Roger A. Morse, professor of apiculture at Cornell University, who directed an off-campus laboratory devoted to honey bee studies. Mostly I painted hives, mowed grass. and ran errands, but sometimes I helped conduct the experiments and do the bee? keeping. I loved driving one of the lab's green pickup trucks to a beeyard, lighting a strawfilled bee smoker, donning a bee veil (and only a veil; I was taught that real beekeepers do not need a bee suit or gloves), and going through the hives, checking each one for disease and a vigorous queen, and maybe giving it another "super" of combs. Through such experiences I began to accumulate the broad, descriptive knowledge of honey bees that forms the foundation for my scientific work on this system. To this day, I feel an incalculable debt to Roger Morse for introducing me to the scientific study of honey bees.  

Source:
Thomas D. Seeley, A Feeling and a Fondness for the Bees

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2