From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 07:18:36 -0600
Hi Lloyd and All:

>Drying is a key component to pollen processing.  If pollen is too dry it
>tastes terrible, and has a "mouth feel" like sand!  This is because all the
>nectar added by the bee when the pollen was collected has been evaporated.
>"Fresh" pollen, such as that in the bag beside me when I drive home after
>emptying my traps, is as tasty as blueberries or raspberries and I eat it as
>quickly.
>
>However, pollen is full of protein and vitamins and if the moisture is much
>above 20% it will be attacked by bacteria or fungus, or both.

I have dried pollen, and frozen it.  For using for making up pollen
supplement my favorite method of preserving it is packing in sugar.  For
using for human consumption I like packing it in honey.  I have some
customers for that, but the problem is the pollen balls break down in the
honey and the whole thing goes into a paste which is usually an unappealing
brownish shade (depending on source).  Any ideas or comments on this method
anyone?  I am surprised it is not more common.  The flavour is excellent IMHO.

Stan