From:
lameo cool <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 17:28:23 -0700
Hi,
     I tried to requeen a 5 frame nuc at the end of
September during the golden rod flow.  The nuc was
Italian and the queen was Italian with a small
percentage of Russian genes.  I killed the old queen
and used a 4 1/2 by 4 1/2 by 5/8 inch push in cage
(screen 8 meshes/inch) to place the queen with no
attendants over emerging brood.  The cage was pushed
clear to the foundation.  Field bees were not stripped
from the nuc because of the danger of hive beetle
takeover.  When I checked 4 days later, the nuc bees
had eaten the comb down to the foundation loosening
the cage and killed the queen.
     Please give me suggestions of how to do better
next time.  Is there a good way to keep the push in
cage from becoming loose when the bees eat the comb
around it?  Thanks for your help.

Bob Maxwell

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs